mostly pointless meanderings

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

An update if you care

Since our van is in the shop for a new transmission (thank goodness it's under warranty), we've been using my parents' 2nd car, an old Buick. Saturday night, I think it was, it dies while J is on his way back from the grocery store. We had it towed to our trusted mechanics. (Word to the wise: do NOT let the sheriff's office call a tow truck for you. They have a deal with the company that allows the tow truck people to charge a "flat rate" - which is another word for OMG THAT'S EXPENSIVE. $110 for 3.5 miles.)

So we've been having fun driving everybody around in the last car standing - which constantly has the battery light coming on as the alternator cuts out. It's had the alternator replaced I think 3 times in its lifetime... not sure what the issue is. Maybe at some point I'll call Click & Clack about it. Mom has to be at work by 8:30, M at school by 8:15, and J at work by 9. Musical cars, anyone? Nonna has been meeting M & I in a bank parking lot so she can take M in with her (of course, that means M has to get up at 6:30 am, poor thing.) J has walking pneumonia and so didn't go to work yesterday, and today went in a little late. I wasn't looking forward to tomorrow.

Luckily, today our mechanic called. The Buick was ready to be picked up - know what was wrong with it? IT WAS OUT OF GAS. *sigh* The gas gauge is evidently kaput. I ran to J's office to get him, we went to get the Buick, and then went to school to pick up M, who is sick. Thanks to the kindness of strangers who swiped her card for me (as mine is still in the van, at the dealership) I didn't have to park a huge distance away and walk. Which is good, considering M was in one of those meltdown-carry-me moods. Did I say was?

I'm back home putting the kids down for a nap, but I'm not sure if I'll even be able to get them asleep before I have to go pick up mom.

Oh, and I'm finally coming down with whatever is going around in the house.

And tomorrow our old house gets auctioned. So tonight I have to go get the last few things out of it that I want to keep. This includes a lawn mower, a mattress, a desk, and a few other large items. (In case you wonder why we didn't get them before, it's because some of them we were originally planning on selling, and some (lawn mower) we forgot.)

I'm so tired.


No comments:

Contributors