mostly pointless meanderings

Friday, July 06, 2007

I'm not sure what to do with this

Perhaps Bernard Goldberg put it best, while chatting on Fox News with Michelle Malkin:

“We go to the American people and we ask them if they can pick out Kansas on a map and they can’t. We ask them if they can pick out England on a map and they can’t. We ask them who the Vice-president is, they don’t have any idea. Who’s the Secretary of State? “I don’t know.” Then we go to them and ask them what they think of the Lewis Libby commutation? I don’t care what the American people have to say about these things.”


I'll admit I've railed against the general un-informedness of the American population before, and have made fun of idiots near and far. However, hearing someone say that because Americans are generally uninformed on some things that the government shouldn't listen to them - it makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. There's a difference between general knowledge and ethics - even a person who can't quote Shakespeare can tell you if something is right or wrong.

That said, I agree with what someone in the comments said:


To Goldberg:
How about this, then — you can ignore the idiots, but if we pass the general knowledge section of the poll, you must follow our opinions. Fair enough?

Because I guarantee you, most of us liberals can indeed find Kansas, England, and even countries where they have mostly (gasp!) brown people(!) on a map. We can also name the VP and the Secretary of State, AND tell you what stupid, unethical, and/or illegal things they’ve done lately.



Politics lately makes me tired. I wonder if the Founding Fathers had days where they thought about telling everybody to f*$& off and finding their own island to move to...

1 comment:

T.H. Elliott said...

I think being able to find things on a map has nothing to do with intelligence, and more to do with the ability to memorize nearly useless trivia. How often in every day life is it important to know where Kansas is? It was in middle school.

Contributors