mostly pointless meanderings

Monday, October 09, 2006

if any of you out there pray

Please keep my dad in your thoughts. He's been sent to the hospital with the possible symptoms of a stroke.


***UPDATE***
It's a little after midnight and I've just gotten home from the hospital. The doctor thinks dad had a TIA (Transient Ischemic Attack), as the tests have come back clean. This means dad is much more likely to have a real stroke in the next year, which is unpleasant, but there shouldn't be any long term bad effects from this episode, which is good.

In a truth-is-stranger-than-fiction moment, as we happened to be taken into the back of the ER to wait in a bed next to the wall, I see my brother-in-law the cop. :) It was wonderful timing, as I started to break down at that point watching my father FALL APART. I have NEVER seen my father cry like that. Mom was telling the doctor that in 33 years of marriage she'd never seen him like this. Mike gave me a much needed hug, and talking to him helped me get myself back under control. I think having a man in uniform asking the nurse if they were aware that we were concerned dad was HAVING A STROKE got us faster attention than might have otherwise appeared. (Since at that point dad had been waiting in the ER waiting room for 3 hours.) And although I'm not a religious person, I got teary eyed when right before he left he asked dad if he could pray with him. Dad being an old-school baptist, I'm sure it meant a lot to him too.

And totally unrelated to anything, I have conjunctivitis. *sigh*

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors