mostly pointless meanderings

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Have you seen Animal House?

Otter: Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
Boon: I thought you were pre-med.
Otter: What's the difference?



Those of you that know me know that for a long time I was aiming at med school. I'd thought about specializing as an ob/gyn - at least until I spent a good deal of time volunteering at an ob/gyn's office. I decided that midwifery was more my speed.

Lately I've been reconsidering. I've gotten so frustrated and fed up with politics that I've felt the urge to get involved and try to change it. (When I'm not so sick of other human beings that I just want to buy a private island and tell the rest of the planet to fuck off, that is.)

I'd been thinking about this quote by Otter, and worrying that perhaps people weren't going to take me seriously, and wondering why I seemed to have lost my desire to be a physician, and it suddenly occurred to me: I'm doing so much nurturing and caretaking now, the idea of doing it for a career exhausts me.

I've got two small children, a husband, two elderly parents, an elderly aunt... so we'll see what I decide to do when I'm actually able to go back to school.

Donations to my college fund are welcome. {wink}

No comments:

Contributors