mostly pointless meanderings

Sunday, April 30, 2006

I think I'm hooked

Last night, in between putting the kids back to bed fifty million times (they're sick, we're sick, nobody feels particularly good) J & I ran a test campaign. My first time as DM; WOW there's a lot to keep up with. I really enjoyed it, even though I was tired and felt like crap - I think for a campaign that I've really put some preparation into and once I get more automatic with the mechanics that I should be able to create a pretty fun game. I'm going to work on planning an adventure for some 3rd level characters for J & P to run.

Yes, I'm a geek.

(Moira is kissing Christian where he fell and hurt himself, he's saying "Tank you, tank you")

I am attempting to feed and not kill my children. I'll probably post again at some point unless I lose my patience and end up in jail.

(I'm kidding, folks. My mother always gets worried when I joke like that, which makes me want to throw something at her.)

3 comments:

unMuse said...

A test campiagn for what?

The Kaiser said...

Don't put in too much preparation actually. Most of the time it's best to come up with a decent sketch (not literally, no drawing actually required) of what's going on in your setting, a few stats for major NPCs and an idea of how you're going to start things. That way you are prepared to roll with whatever direction the players go in and don't end up trying to force them into any particular paths. If you put lots of time into planning out specifically how things will go you will be frustrated and probably act like a jerk when your players go in a totally different direction and all of your carefully laid plans are bypassed or ignored.

I also think it's worth keeping in mind that usually the best games are the dirtiest games. Think about it like this: Which are better, spaghetti westerns like "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" or John Wayne westerns? How you answer that should be pretty indicative of the sorts of games you will enjoy the most.

Hawkmistress said...

Gee, it's almost like you know me. :) Yes, knowing me I'd overplan and then completely skip a groove when the players went off in another direction entirely.

And honestly, I've never been much of a western fan. It's been 10-15 years since I've watched a John Wayne flick, and I don't remember much about TGTBATU... I guess it's movietime for research!

Blog Archive

Contributors