mostly pointless meanderings

Monday, April 18, 2005

And another week starts

I'm trying to think of current life more like a whetstone rather than a grindstone. That way, at the end of all this, I can consider myself a sharpened blade, rather than a crushed kernel.

Last night was fun; Patrick came over and we all hung out. J made sloppy joes out of buffalo meat (very tasty; and it's been YEARS since I had a sloppy joe) and tater tots... childhood memories for the guys. While they were out getting buns, J found mascarpone cheese, so we finally made the tiramisu from scratch that we'd gotten 99% of the ingredients for weeks ago.

Wow. Totally worth the work (which really wasn't all that much anyway.) I'm going to do my darndest not to eat all the rest of it today. I'm in one of those almost compulsive eating phases; J says it might be stress.

Talked to my mother-in-law last night. The verdict is non-Hodgkins lymphoma. I don't know WHICH non-Hodgkins lymphoma, evidently there are tons of different kinds. So I'm not sure how long she's got. Other than my husband or my children, I honestly can't think of somebody that I'd want to die less. I've often told J that when my dad dies, I'm probably going to fall apart - and now I'm not sure that he's going to be the first parent to go. She's going to China at the end of June; I can't wait to hear how her trip goes.

So J wanted to take today off for mental health - he's starting a new job soon (THANK GOD) and of course today is a work day from hell; everything breaking, client freaking, the works... I wish he could just say "you know what? I don't work here anymore; go climb a tree" but he's much nicer (and more professional) than that. What sucks is that his boss is really trying not to call him, but what can I say? My hubby is hard to replace. Tell me something I didn't know.

So while I sit here eating lunch with the kids, I'm trying to organize my computer/phone, researching monolithic domes, what the process is for building a house, working on a budget to get us there... it's like that dance the bunny hop, except I take 3 hops back for every one hop forward - for every thing checked off my to-do list, I add several more.

But how can you be down when your iTunes shuffles you from "Bitchin Camaro" to "When I'm 64" to "Superstition"?

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors