mostly pointless meanderings

Saturday, April 09, 2005

It's four a.m... do you know where your babu is?

You know, I occasionally think about the minor oddity that is pet names people have in a relationship. I've been married twice before, but never really had a pet name with either previous husband... #2 tried some cutesy stuff, but there was no context, so nothing stuck. Babu, however, came as a typo one day when J & I were talking back and forth on IM. I don't remember now who did it - J might. Anyway, we thought it was cute, and it stuck. Anyway, I occasionally think of how odd it is that my husband and I use a pet name that is actually a slur...

ba·bu also ba·boo
n. pl. ba·bus, also ba·boos
1. Used as a Hindi courtesy title for a man, equivalent to Mr.
2. a) A Hindu clerk who is literate in English.
b) (Offensive.) A native of India who has acquired some superficial education in English.


I hope if we ever develop Indian friends that they have a sense of humour.

What pet names have you had? Or what pet names have you always wanted?



Oh - and about the title: my babu is still at work, bringing the new webpage and all its attendant programs live tonight for the bank client. I'm hoping he'll be able to come home in the next couple of hours. Maybe, once he catches up on sleep, we can take the kids to the FSU Circus this weekend!

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors