mostly pointless meanderings

Thursday, November 09, 2006

I'm tired

I say that a lot, don't I? Well, the sleep study is next week. We'll see if sleep apnea is increasing exhaustion, or if it's just depression.

Altho I know why I'm tired today - I was up until 2:30am doing this:













for Miss Wilma's birthday at school. I left before anybody had a chance to see it, I hope the darn thing didn't fall over before anybody got to eat it...

Dad got his hearing aid this morning, and mom and I are VERY excited - evidently dad said "I think I'll like this." WOOHOO! It'll be SO NICE to be able to have conversations with him again! He'll actually be able to hear what his grandkids say. :) He went into the kitchen because he kept hearing something that sounded like water running - finally figured out it was the refrigerator - he'd never heard it before. heeheeheehee

J is at work for a meeting, and if I don't hear from him in the next 45 minutes I'm under orders to come get him, as he was feeling awful and only went in because he had to. (Honestly, I'm not feeling great either. We're all on antibiotics, hoping not to come down too badly with the raging strep that J got.) I think I have a fever. I wonder if we could talk the kids into taking a nap when we get back from getting J....


Oh, and I can't believe I didn't mention this:

BOOYAH! A giant thank you to everybody who went out and voted. As soon as everybody in the family is well, we're going to throw a party or have drinks or something.

And an idea percolating around in my brain - Bush just said last week that he wasn't replacing either Cheney or Rummy, and now Rummy's gone.... what are the odds that Cheney will go too?

Hey, a girl can dream, right?

3 comments:

The Kaiser said...

It's just going to be Rummy in terms of dropping people on purpose. He's probably the deisgnated fall guy in case the Dems start running investigations. Everything will be steered back to him, because he's already gone. I think that if anyone else goes it will be various State, DOD and intelligence people, Condi next, then lots of Cheney staffers, then maybe Cheney (but at that point I think that things would have reached a Watergate sort of situation).
But if things go according to plan, any investigations will lead to Rumsfeld's door.

Hawkmistress said...

I was hoping you'd throw your two cents in. I see what you mean; Rumsfeld was one of the inner circle and as such would have access to pretty much all decisions made about anything - but Bush is famous for his loyalty, so whomever's plan it is, I don't think it's his. Would Rove have that kind of authority? Libby probably would, if he were still around... I can see the axe falling on Condi easily - I think Cheney has been wanting to toss her overboard for a while now.

What was your opinion of the neo-con kinda-sorta hatchet job?

The Kaiser said...

I think Bush's vaunted "loyalty" largely boils down to obstinancy and a dislike of doing anything that anyone tells him he ought to do. I think that his whole cabal probably piled on and he went with the flow, and I think (based on what I've read of interviews with the man) that Rumsfeld may have volunteered (say what you will about his decisions and competence, but he seems to be a pretty courageous guy).

I don't think Condi is going anywhere, though I think that she is probably the next layer of their political defense-in-depth. Rummy and her have always been out in front serving as the mouthpieces of the Administration, so I would expect that she will become even more of a punching bag for the press and the public (and now the Congress). Either way they can't really afford to lose her because she's the only personality that they have on hand who is any good at talking in front of cameras (except Tony Snow, but he's the Press Secretary and thus the voice of the Whitehouse so you can't use him to say things that you don't want attributed directly to the President).

I think that the neo-con hatchet job is something that has been in the works for a while. I think that the core true believers in that movement have been looking to distance themselves from the current Republican leadership for a while now, but felt it was not politically viable to do so while that leadership was still popular and in power.

The reason that they want to do this is that the bungled Iraq war has basically discredited their entire philosophy of foreign policy. They want to try and put some distance between their ideas and the war that has been fought based at least in part on those ideas. If they can pull that off there's a chance they might be able to keep their raft of concepts afloat because they will have suceeded in making the case that their general ideas are not bad, but that the execution of them (i.e. Iraq) was entirely mismanaged, allowing them to stay on the field of power and decision making for another round. I think it's a real long shot for them, but what else are they going to do? Their only other option is to slink away into the shadows like all of these Nixon cronies and come back 30 years later when nobody remembers what they did.

Blog Archive

Contributors