mostly pointless meanderings

Friday, November 03, 2006

Patience in the face of history

After having an impassioned conversation with my dad the other day, I remembered the advice that my husband gave me once when I was weeping and incoherent with rage and frustration over the problems in the world. He said that change happens in very small steps. He told me to be glad that at least now we're talking about the horrible things happening; a hundred years ago most of them would have been simply accepted, if not encouraged.

I have a hard time thinking that long term. As I read headlines now, I find myself wondering what history will say about this time. Will my opinions be vindicated? Will my friend's opinions (he who supports Bush & Cheney *shudder*)? And when all is said and done, will the world have taken another incremental step forward? Will humanity be any better off?

It's things like this that keep me awake at night. Sad, huh? I mean, in addition to the normal things - bills, kids, elderly parents...

I'm now watching Christian who has found a plumbers' wrench and is "working on" pawpaw's chair. I really need to get this kid some take-apart/put-together toys. Or we're going to find our stuff dismantled.

So, things to do and places to be. BTW, Hi, Aunt Robin! I forgot to tell you that you looked really nice today.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors